Monday, October 26, 2015

Peeled Off

It's the last week of the All Things Rani series, and I thought we should try something that I don't generally even write down:

Recipes.

I've known how to cook since I was a kid. Literally, I was four when I taught my father how to cook pasta.

So, it wasn't that surprising when college rolled around and I decided to make a few of my own recipes.

This week, I'll be sharing three of those recipes with you.


Rice Pilaf 




I know, sounds kinda boring, doesn't it? But trust me, it's delicious and it's not that difficult to make.

Ingredients: 



  • 2 Tablespoons Butter (real butter, mind you)
  • 3/4 Cup Rice
  • 1/4 Cup Orzo (you can use a full cup of rice and no orzo if you prefer, but then it wouldn't technically be a pilaf)
  • 1 3/4 Cups Chicken Stock (find the richest one you can—I like the one from Trader Joe's. I like my rice a little crunchy, but if you like yours very soft then go ahead and use 2 full cups)
  • 1 Tablespoon Kikoman Soy Sauce (yes, it has to be Kikoman)  
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1-2 Teaspoons No-Salt Seasoning from Costco (pic above)
  • 1/4 Cup Chopped Cashews or Blanched Almonds
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Cooked Chicken (I use breast meat off a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 Large Carrot, Chopped (I used a purple carrot, because that's what I had)
  • Soy Sauce to Taste

Directions: 


In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add rice and orzo and toast until grains are lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and Kikoman soy sauce. Stir. Add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and no-salt seasoning.

Here's the important part: taste your broth. Make sure it tastes like what you would imagine is a delicious chicken soup. Add more seasonings until it tastes right (don't add too much salt here if you're like me and want to put soy sauce on top when it's done). Once your broth tastes delicious, put a lid on your pan, lower to medium-low heat, and let it sit without lifting the lid for about six minutes.

After those six minutes, remove the lid and stir it up. There should still be about half of the liquid remaining, and the rice should be approximately halfway cooked. If it needs a little more time, don't be afraid to give it. Now, add your nuts, chicken, and carrot, stir it up, and put the lid back on. Do not lift the lid for at least four minutes.

After that time, take off the lid and stir. By now the majority of the liquid should be cooked out and the rice should be mostly tender (I like my rice a little crunchy). (If there's only a little water left in the bottom of the pan at this point, put the lid back on and turn off the heat; leave it for about five minutes and it'll finish cooking). If you think it needs more time, give it — but don't leave it too long or the rice at the bottom will burn to the pan.

Fluff with a fork and serve with soy sauce.

Delicious college-y dinner that only takes twenty minutes to make. Woo!




[love]

{RD}

2 comments: