Friday, October 16, 2015

Other

To Learn or not to Learn



Like I said on Monday, Russian is only the first in a line of languages that I'd like to learn. Hopefully I'll find the time to get myself at least partially fluent in Russian within the next few years, so I'll have a chance to start on the next.

But here I have four languages listed -- two that I want to learn, and two that I don't -- and the why's.

1. To learn: German


Why? My brother went on a trip to Germany when we were in high school, and it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. We both ended up taking a class in German while we were in college, and I actually have friends now who are fluent in it. It's a place that I would greatly enjoy visiting and traveling across, and I think it's a little funny that a lot of their words make them sound unhappy when they're not.

2. Not to learn: French


Ever heard the stereotype that French people are bossy and rude? It's not far off. I'll admit that I do know a few very nice people who speak and are from France, but as a whole they tend to pride themselves on their rude demeanor and difficult to learn language.

And wonder of wonders, I don't find their language attractive. In fact, I'm somewhat repulsed by several of the sounds they make.

It's a little weird.

3. To learn: Hindi


Did you know my dad is from Pakistan? Some of you did, I'm sure.

He used to know Hindi, until several years after moving to the states. Now he remembers bits and pieces here and there, and I'd like to see if he'd remember more if I started learning the language for real. It's a bit of an experiment.

Not to mention the fact that I'd like to go to Pakistan to see the land from whence my father came. 

4. Not to learn: Spanish


I live in New Mexico, and I have since I was two years old. However, this doesn't mean that I have an affinity for Spanish. In fact, it's quite the opposite. No offense intended to anyone who likes Spanish, speaks Spanish, or is Spanish, but I don't understand why when a word is rooted in Spanish we have to speak it like we're Mexican. I don't get it. It confuses me.

Maybe I'm weird.

Okay, I am weird.

But we already knew that, didn't we?

[love]

{Rani D.}

1 comment:

  1. Especially when the reporter on KRQE normally speaks without any trace of a spanish accent only to, with much gusto, fly into one in order to pronounce a single word or street name. Ironically, this then renders the accented word even less comprehensible!

    ReplyDelete