Monday, October 19, 2015

C

Occasionally, writers need a break from writing. That's a little bit of what this week is going to be about, here in WEAATR. Wow that's a weird acronym. Remind me to think of a better way to shorten that, will you?

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of television. But... I'm not as much a fan of many of the more recent shows. In fact, I tend to have more of an affinity to things that have now ended. So this week I'm going to tell you some about those shows, and what it is that keeps me going back for more -- even though I've already seen every episode multiple times.

Today's theme:

Comedy



I know, I know, I've told you before that I don't like comedy. And that's true. But you know what I've liked a few of? Sitcoms.

Only a few, mind you.

1. Friends


I basically grew up with this show. I may not have watched it when it first came out, but by the time I was a teenager it was almost over and I really enjoyed it. I'm a Monica, in case you hadn't already figured that out. Yes, I've taken the quizzes. And I've known from the beginning that I would be a Monica.

But especially now that this show is on Netflix, I watch it a lot. I probably watch it more than I should.

Why?

It's not just because it's funny. It's because the writing is so dang good. There are only a few times when the characters seem static, throughout the entire series, and that's amazing to me. I've witnessed so many shows go down the drain because the writers couldn't keep the characters straight.

2. HIMYM


Okay, okay, this one hasn't been dead that long... But it's still dead. And I'm not sad about it. I do wish they'd given it another season, but it's okay.

Up until those last two seasons, the writing for this show was outstanding. The characters made sense, the plots made sense, and everything fit together beautifully. And then it all went down the drain when the writers realized they didn't have as much time as they thought they did.

So here, I just pretend there were only seven seasons, and I make up my own ending. It's better that way, trust me. I had a much better ending in mind for each and every one of those characters.

3. Gilligan's Island


Weren't expecting this one, were you? This show only lasted three seasons... All of which I now have on DVD. Again, I pretend there wasn't as much to the series as they really did (i.e. no movies, thanks much).

If you don't like stupid, don't watch this show.

If you like stupid, watch this show.

If you're a writer and sometimes you need to get out of your own head by living in the moment and laughing at the absurdity of people trapped on an island that apparently lots of people actually know about but nobody can do anything about it... watch this show.

Trust me, it breaks the monotony quite nicely, without reverting to crude humor that, let's face it, isn't even funny.


[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment