Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Shapely

Countdown? One. More. Day.

~

#1: The Circle, by Ted Dekker



As per my LOTR post, I couldn't pick which book in this series to focus on. There's so much here that I had to include it all in one post... because really, it's all been hugely inspiring to my writing career.

1. Two worlds


In Dekker's series, there are two completely real and completely believable worlds. One is our own, and the other is one that I would never have imagined -- one where sometimes the world is literally turned upside down so the people can have more fun.

The brilliance, however, is that both worlds are similar enough to make them real. Never once did I doubt the integrity of the story based on the two unique worlds, even when Thomas Hunter was going back and forth between them. In fact, that only seemed to make the worlds more real.

2. Circular storyline


What Dekker did with this series is something I'd never seen before, and haven't seen since.

Black, Red, & White were all released in sequence, in that order, without much time between their releases. They were also written in sequence, as far as I know. But what makes it interesting is the addition of book four, Green. This book takes the original trilogy and throws it on its head.

How, you ask?

Because book four makes the whole series into a literal circle.

If you want to know what that means, then you should probably check out Dekker's series -- because I'm not about to spoil it for you.



[love]

{RD}


P.S. The series isn't over... 

No comments:

Post a Comment