Friday, September 4, 2015

Hammy

#11: Hamlet




Do I even need to bother in saying who this one is by?

When I was compiling the list of authors and books that had inspired me, I knew there had to be at least one classic. For me, that classic is Hamlet.

1. Writers need Shakespeare


I know a lot of writers don't like Shakespeare. They don't like how he wrote, they don't like the stories, and they think he was a pansy. Well, I don't care. I don't care if you don't like him or if you don't like his stories -- if you're a writer, you need him.

Why? Because he's one of the greatest writers of all time, so says society. His is a name that everyone knows, and his stories are ones that everyone has read, that people keep riffing off, and that both Hollywood and the BBC keep adapting.

Writers, if you know your Shakespeare, you know something every single person in the states has been forced to read at one time or another in their lifetime.

And you could probably explain to them why they didn't get it, and why they would enjoy your writing even if they didn't like his.

2. Hamlet is timeless


Yeah, that's a cliche. But it's a true cliche.

How many stories out there are based off Hamlet, or have ideas practically torn from the pages of this book? Truth is, more than I could count. I've found several times where my own writing has mirrored Hamlet -- and I didn't even do it on purpose!

3. Thematics


Thematically, Hamlet is a good study. Even if you don't like Shakespeare and you disagree with me that every writer should at least respect the man, this one's a good one to read.

In particular are the themes of insanity and of death.

If you have a character that's about to go insane, but you're not quite sure how to make them go insane, read Hamlet. It'll help. I promise.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment