Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Me, Myself, and I

How many aspects of me should I put into my story? 

This question... Oy, this question. Who came up with this stuff? No, but really, it's a good question. Of course, as per usual, it depends greatly on the story in question. But we'll get into that.

Me, Myself, and I





1. Poetry


I'm adding this because it's one of the major categories. I know it's not really a story, but it's close enough so I'm counting it.

Many poets are poets because of the things they've experienced in life. It's experiences that they draw from to create their art -- so there's your answer for this one. Put as much of you as you possibly can into your poetry. Put so much in that it hurts. That's the type of poetry that pulls at peoples hearts and makes them feel as you do, and really, that's how I feel poetry should be.

2. Creative Nonfiction


No brainer. Put all of you into your nonfiction. It's nonfiction. That means it's real. So put it all in there. Don't skimp. If you were a jerk to someone, then be a jerk. If you were a pansy, then be a pansy. If you were the sweetest person that ever walked the planet, then be the sweetest person that ever walked the planet.

But be careful not to leave anything out. If you leave things out, it makes it easier for your readers to find the flaws in your storytelling. They want to know that it's real, that you're real, so show them. Let them inside.

Maybe they'll like what they see.

3. Fiction 


I've saved the best for last, and I've also saved it for last because it's my forte. I'm a fiction writer. We all know this. I've dabbled in both of the above categories, and I don't enjoy them like I do fiction.

But do you know why I enjoy fiction so much? It's because I get to explore the universe through other people.

Yes, sometimes it's fun to have a character who's like me in every way, but fiction is fascinating to me because I get to see the world and everything in it, through the eyes of someone who's nothing like me. And honestly, it makes it a lot easier to understand the motives of other actual, living people. I see them like I see my characters, and even if their actions aren't things that I would ever do, I get them a little easier.

So if you're a fiction writer, try to avoid putting you into it. You can pop in a character now and again who's something like you, but try not to let it be your focus. Eventually, I guarantee you'll run out of material.

Have some fun, play around, and explore through characters you wouldn't normally think to create. There's a world out there in which to have adventures -- let's go have some!

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment