Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Why write?

Today marks two things: 

The beginning of a new month, and the beginning of a new series! 

This July, I'm going to do something I've never done before. Our series is titled "Keeping the Faith," and it has a lot to do with just that -- faith. 

Every post will relate to one or more Bible verses, and will of course be designed for us writers, to better learn what we're doing out there, and how to go about doing it. 


Why do we write? 




It's a solid question, isn't it? Why on earth do we write, out of all the things we could be doing with our lives? 

Here are two solid answers: 

Jeremiah 30:2 - Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write these words that I have spoken unto thee in a book (KJV)

Revelation 21:5 - And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful (KJV)


But how are those answers, you ask? 

Good question. 

1. It's a commandment


True, these two verses were not necessarily intended for writers -- but I believe that they were. See, these two verses were commandments from the Most High, telling people to write. That right there is a good enough answer for me. If God did not desire that we should write, he would've said so in his Word. 

But he didn't. Instead, he commands us to write, in true and faithful words, in a book.

2. It's an honor


Here's how I see it: God gave a commandment, to write. It's my honor to do as he says. If the Most High God, the one who created all in the entirety of time and space, wishes for me to put words on a page and show them to other people to read and enjoy... then yes, sir, I will do as he says.

3. It's a right and a privilege 


John wrote Revelation. We know this. And we know that John considered it a privilege to see his vision and to be commissioned to write it. Would we not be the same in his shoes? 

So consider your story the same, a vision given to you by God himself, for you and you alone to write. 

It's your right to see it through, your story to tell, and your privilege to see it through to the end. 



I think this series is going to be a lot of fun. Even now I can't stop smiling!

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment