Friday, March 27, 2015

The Block... Does it exist?

This week has been fun, hasn't it?

Writers vs. Depression - Writers win!

Writers vs. Friendships - Writers win! (Okay, maybe that one's more of a tie, but it still means we win)

So today we're left with...

Writers vs. The Dreaded Block



Now, if you know me at all, you'll know I don't believe in the Block. But you'll also know that I acknowledge its existence in other peoples lives. 

Here, I'm going to tell you how to live like I do, knowing that the Block does not exist, and that you can and will write whenever you want. 

1. Don't give it life


Speaking about the Block gives it life -- that's how I've always felt about it. If a concept isn't real, we don't speak about it. Don't say things like "I have writer's block." Say "I'm writing a novel." Telling yourself that you're writing a novel will help you to complete it. If you say it enough, and you believe it, pretty soon you'll find yourself saying that not only are you writing a novel, but that you've finished another one!

2. If you can't think of a good idea, maybe it's that you haven't seen or heard one in a while


If you're not getting any good ideas down on paper, it's probably that you haven't experienced any as of late. 

My advice? (it's fun, don't worry): Watch a new show or movie, or read a book, that's related to what you want to write. Look for inspiration from the Muse, from that inner voice inside you that just wants to sit down and get the story out. 

They're just waiting for you to find the right way to express it.

3. Sit down and write -- even if you think what you're writing is pure crap


This here is the big one, and it's very important that you don't skip it. Even if you feel like everything you've written in the past eight years is the worst thing that anyone's ever written in their life, keep writing. Do not, no matter what you might want to do, DO NOT STOP WRITING. To stop writing is to give in to the Block, to give it life, and to acknowledge that it exists. 

We don't want that, do we? 

I hope this helps those of you who have trouble with Block, and I hope you'll all come to trust me when I say that it does not exist if you don't let it. 

[love and hugs]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment