Wednesday, March 11, 2015

< end >

Monday, we talked about how to get started in your novel.

Today, we're talking about something almost as important: pushing though until the end. 



1. Never give up


Yeah, yeah, it's cliche. But don't give up! Don't do it! Too many of us get a short ways in and then give up because we don't know how to continue. Well I'll tell you what, just do it. Just sit down and keep writing, and see where it goes. Think of it as a series of short stories that make up a whole book, if it helps. After all, that's really what novels are.

2. If you get stuck, go back and read what you already have


This always helps me to keep going, especially when I've hit the point that I don't want to continue anymore. Going back and rereading everything can open up some new possibilities and bring up new ideas you haven't thought of yet.

Try it.

3. Keep your characters in mind


Do this, because your characters want their stories to reach a climax. They don't want to be in an unending story, or one that doesn't get to find its finish. If you don't find the end, they don't find their end, and nobody's happy. So think of them, think of what they would do, and think of how they would like to go on with their lives.

4. Have someone else read it, to keep you accountable to finishing


I do this with every single thing that I write -- even the short stories. Doing this makes sure that I'll finish, because I have someone else pushing me to do it. Usually I'll nab a good friend and talk them into reading for me, and they always keep me accountable to finish. So if you're having trouble being accountable to yourself, do this. Honestly.


I hope these ideas were helpful to you! Remember, it doesn't have to be November to be novel writing month. Sit down and get some words on the page.

Every story has to start somewhere, right?

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment