Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Friendships last... don't they?

Are you a creative type?

How many close friends would you say you have, that would stick by you through literally everything?

Not many, is it?

Well, for me it certainly isn't. One of them would have to be my mother. I think I have two others. Maybe.

But why is it, that so many creatives have a hard time holding onto friends?



1. We have too many imaginary friends. 


Sometimes we call it the muse, other times we just call them the voices in our heads. They're there, and we can't help it. No matter how much they might bug other people, we love them. We really do. They're a part of us, and we couldn't give up on them even if we wanted to. 

But with that many imaginary friends, sometimes it's hard to keep both them and the real ones straight.

2. We're so involved with our work that sometimes we forget the rest of the world exists. 


And we would apologize for it, if we realized it was happening. I've done it many a time, and I didn't notice it until someone told me.

I have so many imaginary friends that I don't always notice when I'm neglecting the real life ones. So I have to remind myself to focus on the real world at least once a day.

I recommend that you do the same. It's helpful to your work, if nothing else. 

3. We don't always like to get close to people, because we've seen it happen in many a book -- and seen how badly it can go. 


Yeah, it's the pessimist in us. But sometimes we can't help it. We've all done our fair share of reading, and we know what hardships and pains can come from the loss of a close friendship. Trust me on this, because I've recently been through such a loss. Sometimes we just don't want to put ourselves out there again.

But let me tell you this:

It's important that we do put ourselves out there, that we do find close friends and put ourselves out there, because friends are some of the best ways that we're able to move up in the world, and a great system for keeping ourselves accountable and holding our heads up high.

If I can do it, so can you. We'll do it together.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment