Wednesday, February 25, 2015

язык

As most of you know, if you've kept up with my writings on here or my posts on Facebook, I'm learning a second language. But I'm not being an average person and going for Spanish or French or one of those classical languages.

No, I'm learning Russian.

Why? Because I'm utterly attached to it.

It's a beautiful language, and if you disagree... Well, that makes no bearing whatsoever, but I may send more winks your way.

And that brings us to our topic:

Writers should know more than one language



Actually, a lot of writers disagree with me. In fact, I used to disagree with me. I believed it was unwise to learn another language while I was trying to focus on my own, and how to craft the perfect story in it.

But, I've changed my mind. Obviously. And here are some reasons why:

  • Learning another language gives you a whole new respect for your own
  • Learning another language helps you to see new ways of word use, which you can use in your writing
  • It helps with your pronunciation of your own language, which really does help in writing, because if you speak well, you're more likely to spell and write well
  • Learning other languages helps us to have a better respect and knowledge of other sounds, sounds we don't even have in our own language
  • Knowledge of sounds, of words, and of their use, is how we learn to write better dialogue

Want to write better, in whatever language you write?

Try learning another language. And if you already know one, then use your skills in every language you know, to write in your base language.

What languages do you all know? Anybody else out there learning Russian? If so, definitely send me a message! -- I want to hear from you! Well, really, I'd very much like to hear from all of you. <3

[love]

{Rani}

No comments:

Post a Comment