Friday, December 26, 2014

Remember

Hey my lovelies, can you believe it's Deanna and my second to last post in our series?

I promise, that's all I'm going to say on here. I'm allowed to, because Deanna didn't even write on the topic she was supposed to... Which I'm okay with, because what she has to say is very good.

{RD}

p.s. Check out my post on Deanna's blog here: Timely Writers

~


Today Rani Divine put up a post about being sure to write through the holidays and I was supposed to write a post about rewarding yourself for doing so, but the other day I realized something and I think it is more important that I ask you a question:

Why do you write?

What is your immediate response? Is it your job? A dream? A to do list?

Why do you write?

What got you started?

I’m hoping that what got you started in writing was an adoration for words, their meaning and how they are so beautifully expressed, but even then… is that why you are still in the game?

On Monday I realized that I had stopped loving words.

Sacrilege, I know.

But I really and truly had. I’d forgotten what it felt like to write because I was inspired, because I couldn’t help it, because it was my favorite thing in all the world – my passion was dead. And I’d cried when I’d realized that for the last year, maybe even the last year and a half, I was writing because it was my job, because I had a project to finish, because there were people around me looking up to me.

If you are like I am, dreaming and driven, you can’t imagine changing the way you are working – not even to fall in love with your craft again.

Well on Monday, and Tuesday, and again today I’ve done something stupid.

I’ve decided to read.

I’ve decided to take time out of my day to just daydream about anything.

I found a picture prompt on pinterest and wrote a worthless scene for a novel that didn’t exist.

BUT I FELL IN LOVE WITH WORDS AGAIN.

I haven’t been this happy in months.

I haven’t been more myself since this time in 2013.

On Monday, when I was rudely disregarding my schedule, this is what I wrote,

“Tis time to dream.”

And that it is.

It is time we remember the blue of the sky in the color of a crayon. It’s time we recall the emotion of a sigh in a song. It’s time we relax, feel the breeze, smile, shine, read, write, dance in the rain. Bringing back our childhood we will fall in love again. Being a writer is about being a kid at heart. You imagine and you bring it to life however you know how. Let that be your everyday mission: today I’m going to be a child.

Does a child worry about what has to get done in a day? Does a child concern itself with word counts, or coloring inside the lines? Does a child worry about pleasing the world with their doodles? Of course not, and that’s the very point.

It is not up to you to save – or please – the world. It’s not up to you to get things done. It’s not up to you. It’s just not.

It’s up to God.

You just sit and remember what it feels like to adore words, what they mean and how they are so beautifully expressed. You just feel… the brushing of a hand upon your cheek, the chill in your toes, the way a bedhead tangles your thoughts… just feel every little thing and fall in love with the feeling.

It is only in this peace, knowing God adores you and God has gifted you and God inspires you, that anything truly awe-inspiring can come forth from your lips.

Fall in love with words again.

Trust me.

It’s worth the banged up pride you might suffer in doing so.

Love,

Deanna.

P.S. Check out my Christmas blog here: Set Something Aflame

No comments:

Post a Comment