Friday, October 10, 2014

Say It

To take a break from our quotes series and introduce you to a little bit of the promised material about my upcoming Druid Saga, I'd like to take a moment to tell you all how excited I am to see how all of you end up pronouncing everything in these books.

Yes, I said it.

I'm actually okay if you don't pronounce it right, and I probably won't correct you if we ever meet in person.

But in case you're one of those people who really likes to know how things are supposed to be said, I've put together a list of how the titles are pronounced (you're on your own when it comes to character names *wink*)





  • Coetir: The People of the Woods

This is the first book that will be released from this series, but the third chronologically. It's coming out in January, released by RAD Writing. 

[kɔɪtɪr]

Yes, I used a translator to do that. I didn't have the patience to do it myself. 

For those of you who don't know how to read IPA, try this: 

C as in Cat 

Oy as in Boy

Tier as in, well, Tier 

Coetir. Easy, right? I hope so.


  • Cedwig: The People of the Vines

This is the second book I wrote in the series, and the fifth chronologically.

[kedwɪg]

This one's easy to figure out: 

Ked as in Ked's

Wig

Cedwig. Simple as simple can be. 


Now let's try a harder one.


  • Caeau: The People of the Plains 

This is the sixth and final book in the series, and will also be the last released. I know what you're thinking. How in the world do you pronounce something with so many vowels?! 

Well, I'll tell you.

[kaɪɔ]

C as in Cat

I as in what you call yourself *wink*

Awe

Caeau. And as a helpful reminder, every time you see an a and an e together like this, it's technically pronounced "I"


  • Anialych: The People of the Sand 

Anialych is the first book in the series, the one I'm writing right now, and will likely be the second to last book released. I haven't quite decided. I'm allowed to do that.

[ənjelɪk]

Again, this one's not too difficult. 

An as found in Fawn

Yell

Ick, where technically that k includes that lovely raspy "h" sound. But I won't make you do that. 

Anialych. It'd be easier if it wasn't for the rasp. 


  •  Dwr: The People in the Water

Dwr falls second chronologically, and I haven't yet decided when it'll be released. It's the book that I finished two weeks ago, and at this point it's my favorite in the series... But I always say that right after I finish a book. 

[duːər]

I know, I know, first there was Caeau with all the vowels, and now I'm giving you one with no vowels at all. Cruel, you say? Perhaps. 

At least I'm telling you how they're technically said. It could be worse, could it not? 

This one's very easy. 

Dwr is pronounced exactly like doer, as in "a doer of good deeds." 

See, sometimes I'm nice. 


Last, but not least...


  • Mynidd: The People of the Hills

This book falls directly between Coetir and Cedwig chronologically, and will likely be the third or fourth to be released. It's also the only book that starts out in the middle of a war. 

[maɪnɪd]

Again, this one's pretty simple. 

Mine + id (as in Freudian, not as in I'd) 

Mynidd. My lovely little warrior tribe. 


I hope this list was helpful to you, and didn't scare you away from my series. As the weeks go on, I'll be releasing a little more "teaser" information about the series so you'll know exactly what you're getting into before we get there. 

*more winking*

[love is an IPA translator]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment