Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Quoted

I've another request of you, this lovely afternoon. My dear friend and photographer, Julie Haider, sent me an idea for my grammar posts.

She's seen a lot of terribly written signage that includes incorrectly formatted wording (like the picture that follows). What I'd like to do now is share it with all of you, and discuss exactly why it's so ridiculous.

What does this have to with my request?

Well I'm glad you asked.

Have you seen signs and Facebook posts and a million other things with bad grammar? Do they make you laugh as much as I do? Well, then I'd like you to take a picture of it and send it on over. I'll post it in the blog, and we can all have a good laugh.

Simple enough, right?

If you still don't understand, keep reading and you'll see what I have in mind.

~



Please "FLUSH" Gently

What in the world does that even mean? 

The quotation marks around flush seem to indicate that there is a unique meaning to the word. Perhaps it means that there should be no real flushing, but that we should all think think happy thoughts until the toilet in question does that thing it's supposed to do. 

But my next concern lies in what they mean by flushing gently. 

After all, it's not me who's really doing the flushing. All I do is press down a little lever and it does what it's supposed to do. I don't know many people who violently ram that lever down, unless something's happened which none of us ever like to speak of in public. *wink*

I'm only thankful that the quotation marks aren't around please, because that would really change the meaning of this thing. 

In the end, I suppose it means we'll just have to think those happy thoughts. And we have to do it, because the sign was polite enough to say please. They may regret this sign later. 

We may all regret heeding its punctuation. 

[love and giggles]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment