Monday, October 13, 2014

Not what we meant to say

As most of you know, I've started working as an editor for the good folks over at RAD Writing (who will also be publishing my second book).

What you don't know is why I started working with them in the first place.



You need an editor.

I need an editor.

That's just the way life is. Why, you ask? Because most of us in the business world have been out of school so long that we don't really remember all the ins and outs of proper writing. And because writers know how to write, but not necessarily how to edit.

Why then would I, a writer, take up an editing position?

Well, that's because I'm one of those crazies who actually likes editing and writing. I know, I know, I just said writers don't necessarily know how to edit, but here's the kicker: I'm not one of those writers.

Want me to prove it to you?

I can.

All you have to do is send something in to RAD Writing and request that I give you a sample edit. Yeah, I know, it's a pain to have to go through them to get to me, but that's how it works.

I digress.

Writers, you need an editor.

Don't feel bad: I need an editor, too. 

Yes, I'm a good editor. I love editing, in fact. I've been known to spend my time looking over terrible websites and thinking of all the ways that editing would make the page so much stronger and more likely to gain support. I've also been known to edit in my head while I'm reading the work of other writers.

It's just what I do.

But I also have a difficult time editing my own stuff.

When it comes to the work that I've written myself, it's difficult for me to find the places where there may be errors. I know the story, I know what I'm trying to say, and in my head it always reads correctly and like I want it to.

The trouble is, that's not always how it reads for someone else.

That's why you need an editor, and why I need an editor.

I'm not saying that you have to hire RAD Writing to edit your work, but I am asking that you consider them. Everyone in the company is good at what we do. We know what we're doing. Most of us have been working in this profession for over five years.

If you're interested, check out their Website. You can contact them personally, or you can send me a message or drop a comment if you'd like to know more.

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom, friends!

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment