Monday, October 6, 2014

Dewin

It occurred to me recently that some of the words I'll be using in the Druid Saga may be slightly difficult to pronounce.

Examples, you ask?

  • Dwr
  • Anialych
  • Coetir
  • Cedwig
  • Caeau 
  • Mynidd

And those are only the ones from the titles of the books!

Yes, I understand how difficult it is to read things that are in another language (or created from the lettering used in another language). But the Druid Saga is one that utterly depends on their being a dual-language base.

Why?

Because there aren't only humans in the series.

If you've read either of the teaser excerpts I've posted this year, you'll know what I mean. There are two main people groups: human and Dewin. The books themselves are named for the Dewin, because the Dewin are named for their surroundings.

Not sure what that means?

Take Dwr, for example. In the language I've based the Dewin in, it means water. The people in this book are named after the fact that they live in the water.

But that's not what I came here to say.

The fact of the matter is, after realizing how many difficulties may come with pronunciations in this novel series, I had an idea. 

Over the next few months, leading up to the release of my next book, I'll be sporadically revealing a few fun and interesting facts about the Druid saga, including how to pronounce these crazy words, things that helped me while I was starting my writing, and elements that I think you'll all very much enjoy about the series in general.

And don't worry, there will also be another excerpt released very soon.

When? Well that's the surprise.

[love and druids]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment