Friday, September 12, 2014

Fabric of "Reality"

Happy Friday to all my lovely readers out there!

Guess what?

We're only a week away from my 100th post! I'll be sharing another short excerpt from my soon to be released novel, Coetir: the People of the Woods, and I can't wait for you all to read it!

What's more, I've decided to have a little contest.

An easy one, don't worry.

All you have to do is comment on this blog next Friday. If you post a comment (on here, not on Facebook), your name will be entered into a drawing to win one of my very own fountain pens. And yes, it's one that I used while I was writing both the Advanced and Druid sagas.

If that's not cool enough for you, well then I guess I won't tell you what the other half of your prize will be. You'll just have to wait and see.

~

Now then, onto the real reason we're all here today.



"Writers see the world differently. Every voice we hear, every face we see, every hand we touch could become story fabric." - Buffy Andrews

Well now, isn't that the truth? 

A lot of writers get grief for being "people watchers" or for only thinking about their writing when there are apparently many other things to be done in a day (I'm not so sure about that one: other than Russian lessons, nothing else excites me like writing). 

But here's the thing: 

As we've said in this blog, oh-so-many times, writers write. It's what we do, it's part of who we are. Realistically, it's all that a lot of us ever want to do. 

So when it comes to reality, when it comes to living in the real world, we're really only ever 50-75% present (and that's on a good day). The rest of our brains are still back in the books, trying to figure out what we can do and how we can fix that tiny little problem we've been having. 

Oftentimes, we find our answers in the real world, when we weren't even looking for them. 

I've had it happen while I was shaking someone's hand, and I'm not embarrassed to say I told them (and immediately wrote down my idea so I wouldn't forget it). 

Stories are bound in the real world, no matter how much we sci-fi geeks like to pretend they're not. Therefore, it's in the real world that we find our answers. 

But don't ever expect us to stop looking for material, because that is something I guarantee will never happen. 

[love and surprise gifts]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment