Friday, August 29, 2014

What's Inside

Today we return to our regular Friday series on quotes, which, by the way, may go on far longer than I'd at first thought. I still have dozens of quotes that I love. Don't judge me.


Despite the irksome has-got error, this quote is entirely correct.

I can attest to this, in a simple and fairly short story:

In my freshman year in college, I was bored. Schnikes, I was bored. Especially in my English classes (go figure).

You see, my English teacher was fresh off a plane from China. She literally sat at the front of the class and read the textbook to us. She never really taught us anything, or at least, anything useful. One day, she tried to teach us that semicolons are never really used in today's English, that they're archaic, and that we should never use them. I proved her wrong, using the very textbook she was reading.

For the record, I blame that teacher for my problems with overpunctuation.

Back onto the point... During my first semester, I had a dream. It was very similar to the basic idea of Telekinetic (you see where I'm going here, I'm sure).

No matter how hard I tried to ignore that dream, to pretend I never had it, I couldn't. I had to write it down.

Now, it's critical to mention that up until that point, I had not truly written before, aside from school assignments.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I finally started writing down my dream. By the end of my second semester, Telekinetic was finished. By the end of the following summer, Telepathic was three chapters away from its end. Two years later, I had both Teleporter and Totalitarian completed as well.

The story wouldn't let me ignore it. It wouldn't die. It was sitting inside me, begging to be written down, and I hardly slept until I'd at least started something on paper.

That's how it is for most of us. There's a story in us, and we need to write it down--because there's another aspect to this quote, one that's not mentioned within the quote itself:

In each of us, there is a story. Even if you don't think of yourself as a writer, there is a story in you. No one can write that story but you. If you don't write it down, no one will ever read it. It will continue to sit inside you, to fester, to rot, and eventually to die of disease.

That story needs to come out. It wants to. It's up to you to take the first step and write it down.

I dare you.

[love]

{RD}

p.s. Don't forget to send me a message and let me know what you'd like to see for my 100th blog post! I'm only a few posts away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment