Monday, August 11, 2014

The Grammarian is Strong With This One

It's that time again, folks. Time for another post on grammar. Or rather, which word means which thing.


(No, I'm not a genius. I just -really- like English. That makes me a geek.)

Today, we're going over the four word pairs that I've heard (from friends willing enough to discuss such things with me) are the hardest to get right in every day writing or speech.

Word Pair #1: 


Desert/Dessert


This one is the easiest, so I thought it would be the best place to start.

I don't know how many times I've seen people get this wrong. It's upsetting, how often it happens--especially when you know this very simple device:

A desert is a very dry land that you want to spend as little time in as possible (so says that woman who lives in New Mexico). Dessert, on the other hand, is something you want more of.

Now count the letters s. The extra s marks the one you want more of. Dessert is delicious (she says, while waiting for the time when her father's birthday cake will be cut) and we always want more.

Word Pair #2: 


Accept/Except


This pair was pointed out to me a few weeks ago, by one of my very good friends. She mentioned how much trouble she has in remembering which one of these means what. So I made an easy way for her to remember (and I hope it works for you as well).

When you accept something, it's a positive. It's a "good" thing (depending on the situation).

When you except something, it's a negative.

Think of it like this: we want to cross out the negatives. To cross something out, on paper, would be to put an X through it. Guess which one of those has an x in it?

You got it.

Word Pair #3: 


Allude/Elude


These two are a little more difficult. Even I have trouble with them from time to time.

Let's start by defining them.

To allude to something would be similar to implying.

To elude someone would be to hide from them, so well that they don't find you.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I can state it in any way that you'll easily be able to remember it, so maybe you'll just want to bookmark this post so you'll never forget. *wink*

Word Pair #4: 


Who/Whom


Ahh, the dreaded question. Is it who, or is it whom?

Realistically, the vast majority of the time it is proper to say who. It's a very rare occasion when whom is proper, and when you're talking it only makes you look like a grammar Nazi, which we're really all trying to hide.

So I'll just say this:

When it would be he, use who.
When it would be him, use whom. (note the m's at the ends of the words: that's what always helped me)


Again, these are some of my favorite posts to write, and I hope that they help you or at least amuse you on this lovely Monday afternoon. We all know how much we like Mondays, don't we?

And don't forget! I still need to know what you'd like to see for my 100th post! I have a few votes in, but their all for different things. If I don't get enough votes in I'm just going to have to pick something... But I'd really like it if you'd all be nice and help me decide. Maybe I'll make you cookies, or share a cookie recipe with you. (ahh, bribery...)

Check here for options for my 100th post:

http://ranidivine.blogspot.com/2014/08/eight-one.html

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment