Monday, August 25, 2014

Pickup

I was sitting at my computer today, trying to decide what to write and coming up with very little (yeah, it happens to me not infrequently), when a thought popped into my head...

"Talk wordy to me."

I don't know how many times I've heard this said this week, and I'm fairly certain that everyone who's ever tried to flirt with an English major at university has heard this line.

We like words, we like to hear people say them, and in a way, they get us all excited and make us want to dance around like wee little children.

I'm one of those English majors (or at least, I was an English major, who now has her degree). I like the sounds of words, the way each person pronounces them just a little differently, and yet we all somehow seem to know what each other are saying.

I find it one of the most beautiful and fascinating things, and I'm probably a little weird about it.

But that's not the main point of this post.

Talk wordy to me always brings me back to one of the most fun topics on the market: pick up lines.



See, I'm a woman (in case you weren't sure). I'm also a single woman. I also hear pick up lines not infrequently. Some of them are amazingly funny, others are idiotic, still others I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Because I can, because I'm bored, and because I'm overly wordy today, here are a few ways to talk to (and perhaps pick up) a lady writer/English major/wordsmith, without making yourself look like an idiot.

Here are several ways to turn a lady writer's head, and maybe help you get her to be your lady writer:

  • Use your dictionary. Come up with some words that we haven't heard of. This is sure to get our attention. 
  • Talk to us about something we don't talk about all the time. (mathematics, anyone?)
  • If you speak another language, tell us about it.
  • Enunciate. Please. For the love of all that is pure.
  • For the love of pizza, don't tell us you're bad at grammar. If you are, we probably already know.
  • Read. Then tell us about it. In big words. 
  • For that matter, just try to use a few big words here and there, and use them correctly. We'll be impressed. 
  • Be willing to people watch with us, in case we're looking for material. 
  • Talk about what we want to talk about, especially if we're looking for material. 
  • Tell us something unique about you, something that we might be able to use in a story. 
  • Know the art well enough to be able to talk about it (i.e. read some famous literature, know your Shakespeare, etc.)
  • If we're in research mode, offer to carry our bag. It's usually about twenty pounds heavier than we'd like. 
  • And of course, the ever popular: tell us we're pretty, because a lot of us are nerds or geeks and we don't hear those words very often (but don't say it like you're trying to get us into bed, because that's just rude)
There are, of course, many other things that would likely work to get our attention, but this is just a start. Use your words, don't be too shy around us, and don't forget that we don't always want to talk. A lot of the time (especially when we're in research mode), we'd rather just be listening.

And don't forget...




[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment