Friday, July 18, 2014

Pft, amateurs.

The wonderful Friday series returns! Seriously. I've had so much fun with these.



Mr. Bach, you're a brilliant man.

In the levels of "true" out there, this sentence couldn't have been higher.

Why? Because that's what we all are, deep deep down. We're all amateurs who didn't give up on our dreams. We're the ones who fought it out and kept writing even when everyone said it wasn't going to work out.

Realistically, this is true of every profession in the world. You're only truly a professional if you don't quit, if you got back on the horse after every time you've fallen off.

And believe me, we all have to fall off once or twice just to figure out where we're going. I don't like to say that, because I don't like to think of failing as an option, but in reality failure is always an option. It's something we should strive to avoid, yes, but when it does happen, we all need to learn to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off so we can get going again.

There were a lot of people who didn't believe that my writing would amount to anything, or that I wouldn't be able to stick it out and work with the thing that I love. Many people thought this was a huge failure just waiting to happen.

But I showed them all that I'm a professional, because even in my little failures, I got back up and I published my book. (Have you read it yet, by the way?)

A word of encouragement to you all:

It doesn't take much to become a professional writer. It takes time, yes. Tears, sometimes blood, lots of energy. But you can be a professional writer and a professional something else at the same time. Lots of people do it, and they do it very well.

Of course, if you want to go fully pro like me, you'll need to get a job in the publishing world... But that's a whole different quote and an entirely different blog post. ;-)


Don't forget, I'll have a guest writer on here next week, July 25! She'll be writing on an amazing quote by Orson Scott Card, and I know you're all going to like it.

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment