Monday, July 21, 2014

Normal

Last week, in my review of Bitten, I happened to mention my hatred of the word normalcy. Being that I mentioned it so recently and didn't explain, I thought this would be a good time to show you why you should never ever use this word.



Normalcy is not a word.

I'm adamant about that, even though it is technically in the dictionary and has been around for a very long time.

See, president Harding made this word far more popular than I believe it ever would've been in his presidential campaign after WWI, "a return to normalcy." Before that, the word wasn't used this much and was considered far lesser to its counterpart, normality.

If you Google normalcy, one of the first things that will pop up is Google's definition of normality (note: not a definition of normalcy), along with links to information on Harding's campaign.

The word bothers me more than any other in the English language, probably even more than the use of literally to describe something that is figurative.

Why? Just look at it. Normalcy. Now compare it to its high class brother: Normality.

Which one sounds better to you? Which would you prefer to use in your writing?

[love]

{RD}

p.s. If you use normalcy in your everyday vocabulary, don't worry, we can still be friends. I'll just cringe and bear it.

p.p.s. Don't forget! Guest blogger Deanna will be premiering on this page this coming Friday, July 25! I've already read her post, and it's pretty darn amazing. You won't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment