Friday, July 11, 2014

Grow Up

Friday's quote series returns! ...because, as you well know, it's Friday.

Today I'll be discussing one of my favorite Gaiman quotes:


Authors are not grown ups. I'm not sure where the misconception came from, that authors are actually adult people, because really, we're not.

And I'll tell you why!

Most adults have the imagination beaten out of them with the back cover of a textbook by the time they're out of college. High school teachers and college professors batter us all into writing the same, thinking the same, and not being creative. So by the time most people reach adulthood, they've lost all semblance of creativity and have much more difficulty writing. (I have too much fun with my hyperbole, don't I?)

But.

Those of us who survive college with our creative genes intact are usually (you guessed it) not highly considered "adults". Oh, we're good people, many of us. We know our stuff, and we'll talk you're ear off.

But we're also those crazy silly whack-a-doodles who no one in their right mind would ever consider to be a "grown up".

So really, Mr. Gaiman here is very right.

You want to be an author?

Then don't grow up. Retain your imagination, think outside the box, believe in the humanly impossible, and write to your heart's content.

[love]

{Rani}

p.s. Don't forget! My good friend Deanna will be featured in this series very soon! Keep your eyes peeled for more news on that front. I'll likely bring in a few more guest writers in the coming months, so don't forget to check back in and do so often!

No comments:

Post a Comment