Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Underwhelmed (and puns)

As promised, this week we're talking about under-description, and how to write your wrongs. Yes, I did that for the pun of it. That too.



The trouble with under-description is that it leaves your readers wanting more, and generally leaves them confused about what's going on and where things are taking place. Generally, it's easier to adjust for this in the editing process. (But then again, isn't it always?)

But that's not what we're here to talk about, is it?

As a rule, I try to keep these in mind:

  • Describe enough that you, the writer, can clearly see what's going on
  • Describe in a way that you can minimize it as the story goes on
  • If you're unsure, add more!

So here's a little exercise for you, to make sure you're doing it right:

  • Write yourself a few paragraphs, where two characters are talking in one of the character's bedrooms.
  • Read it.
  • Set it down for a few hours.
  • Read it again.

Noticing any areas where you can't clearly see what's going on? Add more details to those areas.

Yes, I know, this is editing. But if you do it enough times, you'll begin to understand where your weakpoints are, and what areas you need to add more description to.

Essentially, the easiest way to remedy this situation is through the act of editing.
I'm sorry, but there's really no better way.

I believe in you!

{RD}

P.S. If you still need help, drop a comment or send me a message, and I'll see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment