Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My advice to you.

Something happened to me recently.

I had an idea, in the middle of the night. I woke up, I thought through the idea, and I knew that it was beautiful and perfect, and matched with the very place I wanted my story to go.

And then I fell asleep.

(If only it were possible to backup my thoughts as often as I backup my writing...)

If you're a writer, I'm sure you've had this happen too. Usually, I'm more on the ball about things like this. When I get an idea, I at least think of some funny way that I'll be able to remember it. But this time I did no such thing.

I. Have. No. Clue. What. My. Idea. Was.

Honestly, it's the most annoying feeling I've ever felt in my life. It's like the words are on the tip of my tongue, but they just won't come out to play.

So my advice to you is this:

When you have an idea, as soon as you've come up with the idea, write it down.


Even if all you do is write a three word note to yourself in a draft message on your phone, write it down. I know you all have your phones on you all the time (so do I, by the way).

It's not that difficult, and it saves a lot of stress in the long run.

But it all starts by remembering to write it down.

Don't get stuck where I am. Do as I say, not as I do. ;-)

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment