Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Something Sticky

Today's Wednesday. I realize that. Wednesdays are supposed to be for exercises and ideas. But today, this was what I really wanted to talk about.

The Importance of Sticky Notes


If you're a writer, and you're anything like me, you like sticky notes.

Why?

Because sticky notes are awesome.

Say you write a scene, and you need to keep one phrase in mind so you don't forget to bring it back in five chapters. A sticky note is just what you need!

They're the most brilliant invention on the planet. I even use the sticky notes on my laptop. Brilliant.

And they also make for some very fun art.


 
 As writers, we use sticky notes for stuff like...

  • Organization
  • Scene ideas
  • Character names/quirks
  • Things you'll need to remember for later on, but don't need to keep in mind right now
  • Differences between twins/similar characters
  • Keeping everything straight

Of course, another useful tool is Scrivener... I tend to use both.

  • In Scrivener, you can save scenes that you've had to cut, so you can refer back to them if you need them. 
  • You can use the research section to make a list of all the little things you've figured out along the way, that don't fit into the story just yet. 
  • If you create files for each character, to describe their appearance and personality, if you ever forget something, you can easily come back and find out (great for minor characters)

Personally, on my system, I use Scrivener for all the things directly related to the writing, and sticky notes for the editing notes and any new ideas I may come across in my adventures.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm doing a writing/editing combo all day today. And working on two books at the same time means I need a little more organization.

Happy Wednesday!

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment