Monday, April 14, 2014

The Burden of Research

Lately, I've had to do more researching than I've ever wanted to do. It's something a lot of writers have to do, from time to time, while writing stories about which we do not know as much as we would like. (wow that sentence was a mouthful).

As of last week, I'm researching Demons. One of the pastors at church let me borrow a book that's giving me a good deal of insight into them.

But I can't say as it's a very fun topic to study.



Researching is one of those things we all do, and generally one of those things that we don't like to do. But the story is always better for it, so we do it for the sake of the story.

In a few weeks, I'll be expert enough on all things demonic that I'll be able to finish this story.

For all you college students out there, don't go thinking that the researching ever ends.


To make my point clearer, here are five reasons why writers should research: 

  • Research makes your writing stronger. 
  • It prevents some plot holes. 
  • Allows for more detail in writing. 
  • Makes it easier for other people, who may be actual experts on the subject, to read your story. In other words, it makes you more credible.
  • Chances are, you'll need the knowledge for multiple books: doing it now means you won't have to do it later!

In essence, do your research.

Back to the books, with me!

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment