Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Stop Talking!

Too often writers find themselves at the mercy of overly talky characters.

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

Not all of us know how to overcome those characters, especially when they're minor characters who really don't need that much attention.

If a main character talks a lot, it's generally a good thing. It builds the character, makes them stronger and more solid, and helps your readers to understand them. But when it happens with minor characters, we all just want them to shut up. 

If you've ever had this problem, I have a very simple solution for you.

Write it out, cut it out. 


...But keep it in case you need it later.

I've had a lot of talky characters in my day. A lot of them were characters I didn't even like, but they just wouldn't shut up.

If you're a writer, you know what I mean. After all, we don't really control the story. The story controls us, in a way. They're real people, and they want to be heard.

The point is, you're the only person who really needs to listen to those talky characters. While they're talking, they could reveal some useful piece of information to you: information that the audience does not need to know.

That being the case, my method is to let them talk, and then cut that entire scene and write it in exposition instead.

Most often, everything that's been said by that talky character can be written in exposition that makes everything far clearer than it would've been otherwise.

The key here is to make a separate file that contains those overly talky scenes, so you can refer back to them if you need them, and you can go look at them and marvel at what a fabulous writer you are when it comes to dialogue. *wink*

In essence: if it doesn't need to be said, and doesn't need to be said right now, don't have it said.

We could use a word from Craig Ferguson on this one:

  • Does this need to be said? 
  • Does this need to be said by me? 
  • Does this need to be said by me now? 

(found on "Does This Need to be Said" special, where Craig discusses how to prevent getting in a fight with his wife)

It appears that I digress. 

Just remember, exposition is a good thing. 


Of course, exposition can get bogged down too... That being the case, next week we'll go over what to do when you have too much exposition.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to destroy Jotunheim.



{RD}

P.S. I did warn you of my fangirl tendencies. Don't say I didn't warn you. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment