Monday, April 21, 2014

Reviewee!

Well looky here, it's my first book review!

Since this is mostly a writing blog, I thought it might be nice to go one step further from my usual positing habits. That being said, reviews seemed the logical choice.

Recently, I finished reading "Till We Have Faces" by Lewis (again). It's one of those books that continually gives me inspiration, even though I know it like the back of my hand.

I hadn't read the book for a few years, so there were surprises along the way. I noticed things that I don't think I'd noticed before, and it became like a whole new adventure.

Don't worry, I won't give you any spoilers.



Essentially, and realistically, it's the story of Cupid and Psyche, told through Orual's point of view.

The entire book is written in first person, and it's entirely Lewis-style. Though first person narratives can get a little annoying in my mind, Lewis holds it perfectly and makes it conversational in a fun way. It's almost written like a journal, and that makes it even more fun (it also allows for more growth in the narrator, which isn't often seen in most first person narratives).

If you've ever wondered what it would be like to get inside the mind of a Narnia character for real, this might be your best chance. At the very least, you'll know how Lewis would've written them, and what they would've sounded like.

It's my opinion that we should all read one first person work of authors who almost strictly write in third, because it allows us that very insight into both their mind and the minds of their characters. That being said, this is by far my favorite first person work by Lewis.

"Faces" is Lewis's own favorite work. From what I'm told, the story of Cupid and Psyche is one that had intrigued him for years, and he simply had to write his own version.

I, for one, am extremely glad.

"Till We Have Faces" is, however, nothing like the rest of Lewis's works. It's not Narnia. It's not Screwrape. It's not Mere Christianity. It's something completely different, and it gives and insight into Lewis, in a way none of his other books do, by the sheer act of being so different.

How different, you ask? Well, you'll just have to read it and find out. It won't take you long: trust me. 


If there is one book I insist you should read (within this genre and first person), it's "Faces". Lewis is a master in all his work, and this one is no different.


Have any of you read it before? And if so, what did you think? Did it speak to you as much as it spoke to me?

{RD}

p.s. my contest is almost OVER!!!

But it's still not too late to get your entries in!

Official rules are...


Enter to win a signed hardcover edition of “Telekinetic”, along with a surprise gift from me!

Write a comprehensive positive review of Rani Divine’s “Telekinetic: Book I of the Advanced Saga” on any well-known site or forum that accepts book reviews. Reviews written between January 1, 2014 and May 1, 2014 are eligible to be entered into a drawing to receive a signed hardcover edition of the book, along with a surprise gift from Rani!

Three winners will be informed on June 1, 2014.

Rules: Reviews must be positive and comprehensive, may contain a short synopsis of the book, and must be copied and sent via Facebook message to Rani Divine on or before May 1, 2014. All entry messages must contain a link to the review. All reviews not posted on Amazon or other sites where purchase is available must include links to the book on both Amazon and Xlibris. Additionally, reviews must not make mention of the contest or winnings. All reviews sent between March 13, 2014 and May 1, 2014 will be eligible to win.
Winners will be chosen by Rani and the staff of RAD Writing, LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment