Monday, March 31, 2014

In The Groove



I’ve hardly written in over a week.

There, I said it.

In reality, it happens to everyone. We all get busy, we all get thrown off track from time to time. Everybody occasionally has a hard time getting down to work.

I’m no different from the rest of us, when it comes to that. 




This being the case, I thought I’d share something about getting into the rhythm, which is what I’m working on right now.

Usually, it’s easy for me to get into the groove and write up a storm. But today, I find that I really don’t feel like doing it. I’m tired, my idea level is on overload, and I just want to lie down and watch The Walking Dead for the rest of the day.

However, that would be a most unproductive start to the week.

So, I need to find that rhythm, and I need to get to work.


Here, in three simple points, is how I get myself going:


  • First, I write a list of the scenes I’d like to get done today.


Usually, I aim for four, and I only do three. I do it this way so that if I actually do find the time, I can write extra and I know what needs to be written, but I always go in knowing that I really only need to get the three scenes done.

For instance, today I need to write a scene to introduce a new character, a scene to reinforce my main character, and a scene to show depth of character in a secondary setting. (yes, I’m using obscure words to avoid telling you what I’m writing about *wink*). My fourth optional scene begins the next chapter, and focuses on the new character, bringing them into a larger role. I’ll probably only get the three done, since I’m so tired.


  • Second, I go write something completely different.


Generally, this means I go write up some emails or a blog post or I go check the status of my contest so I know what’s going on in the outside world before I get to work.

This way, I don’t get as distracted by the internet while I’m working, because I’ve already checked everything.


  • Third, I sit down, I pray, and I start writing.


One word after another. Don’t worry about the flow. Just sit down and write.
First drafts are made to be edited, after all.


Simple, isn’t it?

Sometimes finding a good rhythm is just that easy. 

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment