Monday, February 3, 2014

Why Writers Love Lists


Writers love lists. We really do. And the reasoning is simple and logical (and also in list format):

1. Lists are a visual representation of the invisible.


Like a list of things that I need to get done today. They don’t visibly need to be done, but in my mind I know that I need to do them. Having written them down, I find that it’s easier to get them done. Plus, if I check something off a list, I get to eat a Hershey Kiss. Besides that, lists can help to better visualize characters, settings, plots, holes, flaws, and things I’d like to include later on in my work.

2. They’re an easier way to remember things.


Make a character or a setting, and usually I end up with a paragraph about them. But, after I've written the paragraph, if I put all the information into list form, with all of the things I'm most likely to need, it’s easier to find when I need it. For me, just writing out the list makes things easier to recall.

3. Lists make it easier to determine how much needs to be done in a day, and organize your week in a more manageable way.


That seems pretty obvious to me, but I’ve been writing to-do lists for years. If something comes up and I have to move a project to a different day, having a list helps me figure out where I can fit it in. I suppose you could also use a calendar for this… But isn’t a calendar just a list of days?

4. A list of goals for a story or other work of writing (not an outline: I detest outlines) helps writers to figure out where the piece is going, even if the list isn’t really followed.


I do this a lot. I like to write out a list of possible scenes, and what order they would go in within a given piece. Then I start writing, and I refer back to the list whenever I can’t think of a good scene. It’s a good way to get back on track, and keep the story moving in the direction it wants to go. Usually about half of the scenes don't get used, but they're nice as references for other pieces as well.

5. Last but not least, lists make us feel like we’ve accomplished something.


Sometimes, when I have a lot to do in a day, I’ll even write down something obvious like deciding what a new character looks like, or even eating lunch. Then I feel accomplished after I’ve finished, even though it only took me a few minutes. It makes the rest of the work easier to swallow, because I’m crossing things off the list all day long. 

And it’s nice to feel accomplished, especially when your work involves writing (where it doesn't always feel like you've accomplished anything at all).

{Rani Divine}

p.s. Here's a meme about writers, because I thought it was accurate, and because I like memes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment